About the eye examination
The eye examination is carried out by a qualified registered experienced Optometrist in a comfortable, air-conditioned environment. The Optometrist will assess through a series of tests and evaluations which can detect underlying health problems such as high blood pressure, diabetes and certain types of eye cancers, as well as your individual visual requirements. The eye examination includes:
- History and symptoms
- External examination of the eye
- Internal examination of the eye
- Binocular vision assessment
- Visual Field screening (for at risk groups)
- Tonometry (for at risk groups)
- Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT) and Retinal photography (at request)
- Private fast track referrals available if required
Since the eye examination is a very important health check we do have good links with our local Doctor’s Practices and Private and NHS Medical Centres to co-manage your health check. This gives a valuable eye history profile for the Doctor making sure you have continuity and a record which is updated every visit to monitor your eye’s health over time.
In addition to the eye examination we are able to offer needs-driven procedures which may be chargeable, please contact the practice for details.
As you can appreciate a full eye examination can take around 60 minutes depending on the individual. If dispensing is required then please allow an additional 45 minutes or so for a relaxed informative spectacle choice.
The practice provides free NHS eye examinations. You are entitled to a free NHS eye examination if you are:
- Under 16
- Under 19 and in full time education
- Aged 60 or over
- Registered blind or partially sighted
- Diagnosed as having diabetes or glaucoma. 40 or over with an immediate, direct relative with glaucoma
- Or you have been advised by an Ophthalmologist that you are at risk of glaucoma
- Prescribed a complex lens.
You are also entitled to a free NHS eye examination if you (or your partner) are receiving the following benefits or credits:
- Income Support or Income Based Job Seekers Allowance (not contribution based)
- Working Tax Credit and are named on a Tax Credit NHS Exemption Certificate
- Child Tax Credit and are named on a Tax Credit NHS Exemption Certificate
- You are named on a NHS certificate for full help with health costs (HC2)
- People named on a NHS certificate for partial help with health costs (HC3) might also get help.
You will be asked to show proof of your entitlement to free NHS eye examinations.
Please be advised that current rules from our professional bodies stipulate that:
Parents, guardians, or carers of children under 16 years of age are required to be present in the consulting room. This is to ensure that the nature and purposes of all the tests are fully explained and understood.
All children under 16 are to be accompanied by a parent, guardian or carer in the waiting area at all times. Please note that our staff are not permitted under our public liability insurance policy to take on the carers responsibility and role.
To avoid distraction of both the child and the Optometrist, it is practice policy that only the parent, guardian or carers are present in the consulting room unless completely unavoidable.
J. Oliver Radley Opticians
36 High Street
T: 01763 273300
|Tuesday||8:00am - 6:30pm|
|Wednesday||8:00am - 6:30pm|
|Thursday||8:00am - 6:30pm|
|Friday||8:00am - 6:30pm|
|Saturday||8:00am - 6:30pm|
From entering the shop premises, there is a really friendly, but professional atmosphere about the place. Everyone was so lovely. I would highly recommend a visit, you will not be disappointed.Personal service and something to suit everyone’s pocket!
This is truly a sweetie shop for spectacles!
A long-standing customer, I never tire of viewing the impressive display of glasses, from high end, glamorous and totally unique, to the more practical and modest, plus lots for the more `sportif` too.
Indeed, there is something to suit all needs,tastes and budgets.
Owner-managed, this independent opticians is very customer-focused, with friendly and helpful staff providing a welcoming and relaxed atmosphere.
Eye testing and examinations are undertaken by highly competent opticians, in very well equipped consulting rooms, giving informative and valuable feedback patients can understand, thus helping us to choose exactly the right type of lens.
A gem of a shop in the quaint market town of Buntingford.